Large project grants
If you are an employee of Barts Health NHS Trust, Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry at QMUL, or the School of Health Sciences at City University, you can apply for a large project grant of up to £500,000.
This scheme is for larger-scale initiatives that can deliver real patient benefit within the lifetime of the grant (normally six months - three years).
What our grants typically fund:
- Patient-focused translational research across Barts Health, Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, and the School of Health Sciences at City University
- Innovative equipment or a new initiative to improve patient care
- Projects to encourage better health in the communities the Trust serves
Applying for a large project grant
The first step is to contact us with a short summary of your proposal (see the expression of interest link below). If we invite you to submit a preliminary application, you’ll need to discuss your intention to submit an application with your endorsers, to ensure they are on board. Then you can apply online.
If you submit a proposal for funding, the first stage will be to make it into a preliminary application. These “prelims” are then assessed, and you may then be invited to submit a full application for consideration by our Grants Committee.
As applications are considered twice each year (in spring and autumn), you must apply within the set deadlines. The deadline for submitting an informal expression of interest for the Spring 2017 round has now passed. The deadline for submitting an expression of interest for the Autumn 2017 round is Tuesday 15th August 2017. This outline of your proposal should be no more than two pages of A4, and should include:
- details of the unmet need your project will address
- project aims
- project team
- anticipated outcomes
We will then review your expression of interest and if we decide to invite a formal preliminary application we will send you a link to the online application form.
Typically, it takes about six months from submission of your preliminary application to finding out if you have been awarded funding. This is often because your application will need to be externally peer-reviewed.
All applications must be endorsed as follows:
- Barts Health – your head of function and hospital Operations Director (or their equivalents) and hospital Head of Finance
- School of Medicine and Dentistry – your Institute Director and Institute Centre Lead
- City University – your Department Head and Finance Officer
Payments from grant awards are made twice per month. Click here for the list of payment dates.
Get in touch
We realise that applying for a large project grant can seem daunting. Our team is on hand to give you support in developing your funding idea and to give you guidance on writing the application. Got a proposal? Get in touch!
Dr Francesca Gliubich
Director of Grants
Email email@example.com or call 020 7618 1713.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7618 1737.